In the era where White Guys With Guitars (known as WGWG) are making waves (well, not really, just in this popular TV show called American Idol), here comes a British guy with not just a guitar, but with a distinct voice. He goes by the name of Ed Sheeran. He is absolutely on the rise to super-stardom as he already won two Brit Awards! That’s pretty amazing. Let’s check his tracks:
- A-TEAM – Nice way to jump-start the whole promising album. His voice is promising and pleasing to the ears. The melody is catchy that gives listeners a preview of what’s in store come next tracks. The vibe of the song seems like a fusion of Jason Mraz and John Mayer.
- DRUNK – One of his current singles. I personally love this track. It shows his quirky, witty writing skills
- U.N.I. – The guitar background sounded like a Bieber track! Haha! The songs showcases a bit of his rapping skills ala Mraz. I can hear this as a background song for a TV show or something.
- GRADE 8 – It started off with a nice drum beat to cue in more of Sheeran’s rapping skills. Very nice track.
- WAKE ME UP – It sounded like he did this through one of his live shows, like an impromptu thing. I cringed a little when he sang something about Shrek and BluRays.
- SMALL BUMP – Another personal favorite of mine. I really love this song! I like the cool vibe of the melody.
- THIS – Ok here it is: I just fell in love with this track the moment I heard it. The song is so heartfelt and emotional. Definitely the I-would-sing-in-front-of-the-woman-I will-marry kinda song.
- THE CITY – Another upbeat track. Just OK for me. Sounded a bit cheesy and boring.
- LEGO HOUSE – Definitely one of Ed Sheeran’s best and biggest tracks in the album. I absolutely love this song. One of my favorite summer songs. The best part of this song is the hook efore the chorus. #OnRepeatMode
- YOU NEED ME, I DON’T NEED YOU – This song sounded so much like a Jason Mraz track. He sounded like a Jason Mraz copycat. The pop-flavored track is catchy though.
- KISS ME – Another powerful ballad that engages the listeners to feel how beautiful Ed Sheeran sounds. He hits the notes perfectly and beautifully, a bit rough around the edges, but I absolutely have no problems about it. You can feel his intensity and real emotions coming out of this particular song.
- GIVE ME LOVE – The final track of the album. You could actually hear this song in a Victoria’s Secret Commercial (FYI). Ed Sheeran delivers yet another powerful song that ended up with a lovely backup vocals. Wonderfully written. Soulful. Nice one to end a very promising debut album.
Side Note: The Deluxe Edition features additional tracks.
Final Thoughts: I really like this album. Ed Sheeran is extremely talented and gifted with fantastic writing skills.
Songs to be put on your Playlist: Lego House, This, Small Bump, Drunk, Kiss Me
Grab this album if you like: Jason Mraz, James Morrison, John Mayer, James Blunt, Paolo Nutini.
4.5 out of 5 stars