IDOL DRAMA UPDATE: JLO was DUMPED by FOX, American Idol Looking to Downsize Come Next Season?

ImageAs I have told you, the drama continues.  With the ratings dwindling and the recent Shake-up reports that are sending shock-waves across the US, The Wrap is reporting that Jennifer Lopez did not actually quit, she, together with Steven Tyler, was axed.

Jennifer Lopez says it was her choice to leave “American Idol” — but the singer was actually dumped by Fox when she asked for a $2 million raise in salary to $17 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told TheWrap.

Fox also opted not to pick up Steven Tyler’s option, the person said. Tyler announced his departure Thursday, saying he had decided to devote his energies to his first love, Aerosmith. Lopez said she wanted to focus on other aspects of her career and her children.

With $17 Million raise, I think it’s highly logical for FOX to reject Jennifer Lopez’s contract.  FOX is definitely in some sort of crisis, now that they are losing popularity in terms of ratings and with tough competitions — like Simon Cowell’s X-Factor USA, NBC’s The Voice, and even ABC’s juvenile Duets.  Moreover, The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that American Idol is indeed trying to downsize the juggernaut show.

…the show is looking to downsize significantly for season 12, cutting budgets, staff and, of course, salaries, the latter of which will make recruiting top pop talent (like FergieNicki Minaj, or Will.I.Am) to fill vacancies all the more challenging. In addition, reports that Lopez, who earned between $15 and $20 million on Idol, was angling for another raise (her third in as many years) are true, say insiders, while Tyler’s motivation to exit seems to be more music-focused: as a touring artist, he can make better money on the road with Aerosmith and promoting a new album than he would filibustering on a soundstage in Los Angeles.

A lot of names are coming up but no one confirming anything as of late.  For even more news update, Los Angeles Times reported that even Idol Producers Nigel Lythgoe and Simon Fuller are on their way out of the said show! WTF to that!

Behind the scenes, executive producer Nigel Lythgoe has yet to sign a new deal to stay with the show and Simon Fuller, the creator of “American Idol,” may also have a reduced role next season as well. Fox declined to comment for this article as did Lythgoe’s office.

This is probably because Core Media Group now owns American Idol.  And together with FOX, they are now preparing to make MAJOR changes to save their sinking franchise. Idol lost 23% of it’s viewership last year.

So what’s next for this drama?  Is this the end of the era and reign of American Idol?  Auditions will start soon, with three empty chairs on the judging panel, and potentially no producers?  I’m glad that I have decided (after seeing Phillip Phillips won the crown last year) that I won’t be watching any more Idol, even if it’s American Idol Version 2.0

Advertisements

Shout It Out!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s