Though this may sound as horrible news, I can’t help but think that there is something good about this. Cory Monteith, the star of the hit TV series Glee, has checked into rehab for substance abuse, his rep confirms exclusively to People.
The actor “has voluntarily admitted himself to a treatment facility for substance addiction,” his rep tells PEOPLE. “He graciously asks for your respect and privacy as he takes the necessary steps towards recovery.”
It is commendable for Monteith to be courageous enough and subject himself to some treatment. According to reports, this is not the first time that Monteith had to seek treatment. He revealed in an interview that he first entered rehab when he was 19 years old.
According to Deadline, FOX’s Glee has two more episodes from its current fourth season left to shoot. Production will still proceed as scheduled, even without Monteith. The absence of Monteith’s character, Finn Hudson will be explained. Here is the official statement from FOX:
“Cory is a beloved member of the Glee family and we fully support his decision to seek treatment,”
“Everyone at the show wishes him well and looks forward to his return.”
Speaking of his Glee family, his co-Gleeks and show’s co-creators express their love and support for Monteith.
- Ryan Murphy: I am so proud of Cory Monteith and love and support him 100%.
- Brad Falchuk: Cory is like a son to me. He knows I love him.
- Amber Riley: I support you big bro, love you to life. So proud of you @CoryMonteith get well soon
- Jenna Ushkowitz: Sending lots of love and light to @CoryMonteith. We love you.
- Harry Shum, Jr: Supporting @CoryMonteith for his courageous decision. Get well soon my friend! Proud of you!
- Kevin McHale: Love u @CoryMonteith, so proud of you 🙂
Glee’s main girl and Monteith’s real-life girlfriend Lea Michele supports her co-star and beau and has released this statement to People:
“I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this,”
“I am grateful and proud he made this decision.”